Thursday 19 December 2013

Overnight kitchen madness

It's been noted last week that I was rather "run down".  That was an understatement to be honest, I was on the verge of crashing.

Yesterday Jo was home all day due to illness; other than waking up at 8am to phone him in sick I slept from 8:30pm Wednesday night to 8:49pm Thursday night.  Yep, near 24 hours of sleep!  It wasn't even poor sleep, it was outright needed dead-to-the-world sleep.

So, after getting up I chatted to Jo about what we were going to make to give to friends.  Cue me boiling sugar and melting chocolate into the wee hours.

I made chocolate truffle mix (low carb diet friendly!)

I made tablet:
 photo Tablet_zpsd749682e.jpg

And I (hopefully) made fudge:
 photo PossiblyFudge_zpsf6358674.jpg

It's a Delia recipe but I think it needed to get a bit hotter.  We shall see once it's cooled.

In other news I have new specs!

 photo NewSpecs_zps6f660748.jpg

Yep, they're blue.  You see, while a UK specs making firm will have to charge you £300 to get your specs coloured there's a US firm that do it for a lot less so long as you only want either blue, green or yellow.  Fortunately for me; my "disability" (I use that term loosely) is sorted by blue tint.

These arrived on Tuesday and while I'm not quite brave enough to wear them in public yet, I wear them at home and they are FANTASTIC!  For the first time in my memory I can read without the text changing thickness or moving or going fuzzy.  I spent 3 hours reading things on my computer on Wednesday morning and instead of having the usual headache and tired feeling I was fine and the information had gone in.  I can also count squares on a knitting chart more reliably and follow the lines easier.

I cannot express how much of a difference this has made.  Finally I can read books to the point where I want to stop rather than my head aches.

Hurrah for Meares and Irlen for discovering this mental issue and hurrah for optical firms providing the service.  Long may it continue!

Well, this is probably the final update before Christmas and perhaps new year; so Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year to all from myself, Jo, Pippa the dog and Rumble, Nushu and Fred the ferrets.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment