Sunday 3 August 2014

Tiree Regatta 2014

Last year's regatta was cancelled due to bad weather.  This year they managed!  The day started overcast, windy, but dry.  Perfect sailing weather really.

I hadn't planned to go originally but when I heard Jo was going with his litres of home made ice cream I decided to go down too.

The refreshment tent (most important):
 photo TeaTent_zps888fd45b.jpg

Scarinish harbour looking busy:
 photo BusyBeach_zps3bd5a051.jpg

Mad, mad souls about to go paddling around:
 photo MadFolk_zps4d3d1d2f.jpg

I think this was "paddle to the other side and back so many times then run to the trailer".  Much enthusiastic cheering was heard anyway.
 photo Paddle_zps64aeee0e.jpg

There was a children's event of home built raft racing:
 photo Rafts_zpsa33ce7f8.jpg

 photo JollyRogerRaft_zpsb339c307.jpg


After watching these for a while I trotted over to the beer tent and the other activities.

Pillow fighting!
 photo PillowFight_zps2a441484.jpg
(alas, cancelled shortly after due to wet pole)
 photo WetPillowPole_zpse99f2492.jpg

My personal fave; welly wanging!  I think it was formally called "welly toss" but I prefer "wanging".  I did see one gent lose his grip on the welly and accidentally hit someone at the burger van, no injuries fortunately.

I had great fun with the camera trying to time my snaps!
 photo WangedWelly_zps0f5c6ce0.jpg

 photo WangedWelly2_zpsa0349734.jpg

 photo WangedWelly3_zps591b9ccc.jpg

 photo WangedWelly4_zps6a821ede.jpg

I think I have about another dozen of either no welly or welly just about to leave thrower's hand.

The sailing competition also started.  A bit of confusion was had and I'm afraid I missed boats coming back in due to helping pack the tea tent.

 photo Preparing_zps183a8926.jpg

 photo OntheWay_zps8053b487.jpg

 photo HeadingOut_zps75a3aeba.jpg

 photo RowRowYourBoat_zps86d693f8.jpg

 photo Practice_zps8546fc60.jpg

 photo RedLug_zps2040c816.jpg

Alas, by the time they started the wind had gotten up and the rain was fair belting down so I couldn't spend as much time as I wanted focusing the camera for fear of sodden lens.

So, that was the regatta.  The winning welly wanger got over 34m and I believe everyone who came enjoyed themselves.  Jo sold quite a few ice cream cones for the church funds and I was proven wrong about my assessment of the ginger flavour; people actually bought it!

Today is much better and the island is drying out again.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment